Re: why do recursive function calculations take so long in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43570] Re: why do recursive function calculations take so long in Mathematica?
  • From: bobhanlon at aol.com (Bob Hanlon)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 05:42:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Add memory to the recursion definition.

Clear[dr];

dr[n_,n_]:=0;
dr[n_,0]:=1;
dr[n_,k_]:=dr[n,k]=dr[n,k-1]+dr[n-1,k];

dr[16,15]//Timing

{0.01 Second,9694845}

Bob Hanlon

In article <bkhbk7$7lr$1 at smc.vnet.net>, g.feigin at verizon.net (G Feigin) wrote:

<< I defined the following simple recursive function:

dr[0,0] := 0; dr[n_,n_]:= 0;
dr[n_,0]:=1;dr[n_,k_]:=dr[n,k-1]+dr[n-1,k];

To evaluate dr[16,15] takes about 5 minutes on a Pentium class
machine, an absurdly long time.  Why? And what can I do to speed
things up?  By the way,
if I perform the recursion in an Excel spreadsheet on the same
machine, the calculation time is practically instantaneous.