display memory errors.. maybe it's the postcript file format??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43592] display memory errors.. maybe it's the postcript file format??
  • From: sean_incali at yahoo.com (sean kim)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 04:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello group.

I actually posted this question a few days ago, but didn't get any
response.

I'm sure someone out there knows the answers.

so if I may try again...

Please consider the following  stripped down version of my code which
writes output notebook.

output = NotebookCreate[Visible -> False];

... bunch of stuff then ...

NotebookWrite[dose, Cell[BoxData[ToBoxes[{{iterationnumber}, np001}]],
"Output"]];

NotebookWrite[output,
      Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript",
          DisplayString[
            GraphicsArray[{{pg0001, pg001, pg01}, { pg1, pg10, pg100}}

              (*... whole bunch of other graphics array images...*),

              ImageSize -> 750]], "Graphics"]]]; $HistoryLength = 0;
Share[], {it, 0, 40}];

I had to resort to writing to an output notebook because I keep
running out of display memory. I thought initially perhaps writing the
graphics with id tag's into another notebook will help the situation
but it apeears not to be the case.

I'm starting to think it maybe due to the fact that ALL of the
graphics being a SINGLE cell as opposed to individual iterations and
the graphics output being separate cells.

I have a couple of questions regarding the code above.

1. is using the graphics file format " postcript" most efficient?
what are some other options that are available in this context?  bmp?
wmf? jpg?

2. I think organizing the output of the graphics under individual cell
with specific iteration tag is will help my situation.  that is....
put the graphics as the daughter cell of a text cell that gets written
right before the graphics are outputted.

How do I do that? is that what "Before" and "After" commands are? If
so, where do they go?  I can't seem to get it right.

the idea is to output multiple cells with each cell being a parent
cell with text and datghter cells with graphics

so. parent cells is  "iteration1. paramters=...."
and the daughter cell is " graphics in most efficient format"

I could really use some tips here.

I appreciate any and all helpful comments as always.

thanks all in advance

sean