Re: Re: Re: Re: Finding the Path to/Directory for the current EvaluationNotebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43595] Re: [mg43581] Re: [mg43516] Re: [mg43458] Re: [mg43423] Finding the Path to/Directory for the current EvaluationNotebook?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 04:01:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Better solution...use EvaluationNotebook[].

SelectedNotebook[] is doing exactly the right thing (*).  Common things
you might want to do instead of SelectedNotebook[] are...

EvaluationNotebook[]...identifies notebook that the evaluation that called
EvaluationNotebook[] is coming from.

InputNotebook[]...identifies notebook that is currently accepting
keystrokes and menu commands (which never includes palettes...and it may
not be the same as EvaluationNotebook[] if, for example, the user has
changed focus during an evaluation).

ButtonNotebook[]...if executed from within a button, identifies the
notebook containing that button (which, obviously, could be a palette).

These and other similar functions are in the documentation.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

(*) Slightly diversionary, but in case somebody's prepared to mention
it...SelectedNotebook[] doesn't presently always do the right thing under
MacOS X.  Under Windows, it returns notebooks or palettes, depending upon
what's selected, as signified by the color of the titlebar, but under
MacOS X, it returns only palettes if you have any open.  The OS makes it
tough to do otherwise, but we're investigating for future versions.  But
all of the other functions I mentioned work perfectly on all platforms.