Re: webMathematica question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47352] Re: webMathematica question
  • From: Tom Compton <comptont at concentric.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:36:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A web server responds to a browser's request for an HTML page.  In a
typical application, the first HTML page contains a set of HTML FORM
parameters which accept data to be passed to the processing application.
  The location of the processing application is defined by the action
parameter of the FORM statement, and this can be any server, not
necessarily the server supporting the web application.

Example:  An Apache web server runs on server1 (http://www.server1.com).
  An HTML request is made by a browser (IE, Mozilla) to
http://www.server1.com/index.html.  The Apache web server responds with
the first HTML page which asks for parameter1 and parameter2.  This
page's HTML FORM action parameter points to
http://www.server2.com/webMathematica.jsp on a server, server2,
physically different from server1 and perhaps located in another part of
the world.  Server2 receives the request and the parameter values passed
from server1 and responds with HTML or some other content.  Server2
would be running webMathematica kernels in a servlet container such as
Tomcat.

QuickMath.com would be an example.  The web server is in Australia and
the webMathematica server is in the US.

Regards,

Tom Compton
www.HostSRV.com