Programming style

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47597] Programming style
  • From: lorenzo.keegan at handbag.com
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:31:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I am an experienced computer programmer having used ADA, C, Visual Basic
etc. for years.

Recently I bought the book "Mathematica - A Practical Approach", where different
styles of programming are discussed, namely
Functional programming versus Procedural programming.

The book seems to suggest that most Scientist and "professional" Mathematica
users prefer the Functional programming approach.

For years I have been working with the "Procedural" method.

What are your feelings ? Is it worth the effort to learn the Functional
method ? Does it matter ?

Thanks for your time

Best Wishes
Laurence Keegan