problem writing a simple equation--urgent!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50359] problem writing a simple equation--urgent!!!
  • From: erkenays at yahoo.com (aysegul)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,
I have a problem about writing an equation in mathematica.
I am writing the following equation:
u[x_, y_] = x + 2*y
and when I write for example u[2,4] , it gives the result. But the
problem that I have is expressing this equation with parameters. That
is
u[x[1], x[2]] = x[1] + 2*x[2]
but when I ask u[2,4];
it gives u[2,4] result.It doesn't calculate.
So, how can I write this equation?
Thanks all.