GrayLevel GIF Export.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46011] GrayLevel GIF Export.
  • From: Francisco Solis <francisco.solis at asu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 05:21:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to know how to export plots graphics into a GIF file in such a way
that they are in GrayScale instead of 8-bit (or other) color.

Some Notes and alternate Questions:
1. I have done this before in Mathematica 4.x by simply using Export[] but
the same procedure does not work for me in Mathematica 5.0.
2. I need this since the same image, and especially numbers, are much
crisper in GrayLevel  than in Color, so perhaps you may suggest to me
workarounds for that. External conversion to GrayLevel after the image is
generated does not produce as good results.
3. How do I check what is the color content of a graphic that I have
generated within a notebook? For example, a notebook setting may be adding a
color background that I cannot distinguish from white and thus forces the
rendering to be in Color.

Thanks for your help.

Francisco Solis.