RE: MultipleListPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46251] RE: [mg46243] MultipleListPlot
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:46:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Naima,

I always find it easiest to use the MultipleListPlot package, but not use
the actual MultipleListPlot routine. Here is an example with some sample
data.

list1 = Table[{x, Sin[x]}, {x, 0, 3.2, 0.20}];
list2 = Table[{x, Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 3.2, 0.20}];

Needs["Graphics`MultipleListPlot`"]
Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]

?PlotSymbol

The following plots the points using a Triangle of pointsize 6 and a Box of
pointsize 3. Each PlotSymbol is simple mapped onto the list of points. /@ is
the shorthand notation for Map.

Show[Graphics[
      {PlotSymbol[Triangle, 6] /@ list1,
        PlotSymbol[Box, 3, Filled -> False] /@ list2}],
    Frame -> True];

If you also want to draw lines through the points you can just wrap each
list of data points in Line. The following is a fairly complete plot
statement using graphics directives to control the colors and dashing of the
lines and symbols. I also added Text labels for the two curves. I clicked
the positions of the Text labels off the plot by selecting the plot, holding
down Ctrl, clicking the point where I wanted the label, copying and then
pasting into the Text statement.

Show[Graphics[
      {(* Draw the Lines *)
        Red,
        Line[list1],
        Black, AbsoluteDashing[{4}],
        Line[list2],

        (* Plot the points *)
        AbsoluteDashing[{}], SteelBlue,
        PlotSymbol[Triangle, 6] /@ list1,
        Black,
        PlotSymbol[Box, 3, Filled -> False] /@ list2,

        (* Label the curves *)
        Text["Sin", {1.58463, -0.197368}, {1, 0}],
        Text["Cos", {2.62543, 0.390548}, {1, 0}]}],

    Frame -> True,
    FrameLabel -> {"x", "f"},
    PlotLabel -> "Plotting Multiple Sets of Data",
    Background -> Linen,
    ImageSize -> 500];

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Naima Khelfaoui [mailto:khelfaou at ese-metz.fr]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I used MultipleListPlot to plot many list , I want to change the size of
points but I don't know how, I used Plotsize but it don't change any thing.

Thanking you.