100% faithful display with the Histogram function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46557] 100% faithful display with the Histogram function?
  • From: "Pedro P.B. de Oliveira" <pedrob at mackenzie.br>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:33:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

My question is: how can I get a display with the Histogram function, that
is 100% faithful to my data?

With a particular data set I have, the only way I get a fully
faithful display is by tweaking the options of the function.

Here are some details. If I work out the frequencies associated to my data
I see that:

1) the peak of the distribution in the display is at a much higher
value than it should be;
2) there are many more categories in my data than the histogram shows.

In both cases, there seems to be some scaling going on that I do not want
them to happen. All I want is a fully faithful display of my data.

In order to get the histogram I need, by tweaking the options of the
function, as follows,
    Histogram[mydata, HistogramCategories -> 10000, HistogramScale -> False];
then the display looks more faithful...

So, how should I use the Histogram function so that I can *always* get
(as simple as that) a 100% faithful display of my data?

Many thanks for any clarification.

..Pedro

Pedro Paulo Balbi de Oliveira
Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Elétrica