Re: Re: Arbitrary-precision numbers in patterns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45417] Re: [mg45409] Re: Arbitrary-precision numbers in patterns
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 01:09:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Nobody has ever tried to do anything of the sort. This example is
(probably)  just a bug. Some of the other things Maxim has written
about were also just bugs others more qustionably so. But Maxim has
made it very clear (and if I am misrepresenting him I hope he will
correct me) that he does not really much care about mere bugs, for as
he writes:

"But in general, my opinion is that it is only to be expected ...".

He in fact even stressed that some things others have called bugs were
not bugs in his opinion.  What he objects to is not even the
incompleteness of the Mathematica documentation (all of us would like
more and better documentation) but rather the fundamental design of
Mathematica. The only way to satisfy him, and those who think like him,
is to re-write the whole thing from scratch on the basis of a very
differnt philosophy. However, that is very unlikely to happen, because,
for one, there are quite many people who are, on the whole, rather
happy with the present design. It would therefore be much more sensible
for those who are not to find themselves some activity more
"predictable" than Mathematica programming.
  (I have a few suggestions but the moderator might not allow them here
;-)

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/