Re: Equation counting in arXiv style sheet

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45858] Re: Equation counting in arXiv style sheet
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:51:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <bute1q$9sm$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Cheng Liu <cliu at lanl.gov>
wrote:

>          Recently, I started to use the arXiv
> (http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/publishing/stylearxiv.html) style sheet
> for my technical writing, but found a frustrating bug in it.  There are two
> styles in the style sheet, EquationNumbered and Equation (in some other
> standard style sheets, these correspond to the NumberedEquation and
> DisplayedFormula).  When I first input an equation, which does not have the
> equation number on the right, it behaves normal.  Then if I input a
> numbered equation, the equation number on the right appears as 2 rather
> than 1.  It seems that arXiv counts all equations (numbered or displayed)
> and increment the equation count by one for all of them.  This occurs on
> both PC under WinXP and Mac under OS X 10.3.2.  Any ideas of fixing the
> problem?  Thanks.

Open arXiv.nb (which is the StyleSheet Notebook), scroll down to the
Style Menu Shortcuts section, and select the

   Prototype for Style "Equation"

cell (the inner-most cell bracket). If you unformat this cell (Format
menu | Show Expression) you will see that one of the options for the
Style of Equation cells is

   CounterIncrements->"Equation"

If you delete this option and reformat the cell then Equation cells will
no longer increment the "Equation" counter.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul