Page breaks and numbers don't seem to work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48816] Page breaks and numbers don't seem to work
  • From: "Robert Boeninger" <robert at boeninger.org>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:07:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

  As a newcomer to Mathematica, I am unable to figure out how to do
something very simple - have the page numbers display correctly (on the
lower left of a page), and have the pages print out with pagebreaks at the
same locations indicated by the page tick-marks in the on-screen notebook. I
have tried every conceivable thing to get this to work. This must be a very
elementary thing to accomplish, wouldn't you all agree?

    I'm dealing with a pure text-Syle notebook using Mathematica 5.0.

1) When I scroll down the document slowly, the page numbers are displayed in
the lower left of the window. The complete sequence of page numbers, for me,
is:

2,  5, 6, 10

The page tick-marks are nicely displayed on the RH side. I don't have any
confidence that if I printed out this document, the page breaks would match
the tick marks, but which is what I would like to have happen, so I can tell
beforehand where the page breaks will occur.

Similarly screwed up seems to be the process of writing out a Postscript
file. It invariably misses lots of the text and math entries, after paying
due attention to all the cute font-inclusion tricks, yes, I know ALL about
that, but to no avail.

Thanks very much for any help,

Daria Boeninger