Shared variables between notebooks?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46780] Shared variables between notebooks?
  • From: richter at cs.montana.edu (Neal Richter)
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 01:34:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
    I'm using Mathematica 4.1 for Linux and am noticing some odd
behavior.

1) It appears that when I have multiple notebooks open, the variables
and functions are 'shared'..  ie they have global scope.  Can I change
this?

2) Is there a "#include" type command in mathematica?   I'd like to be
able to have a notebook with common functions I use, and include it in
other notebooks where use the functions.

As you can tell I'm a C/C++ programmer.  Has anyone on the list used
the Mathematica->C++ code generator?  Opinions?

Thanks!

Neal Richter