Typesetting: ?Big Sigmas and Little Sigmas?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46924] Typesetting: ?Big Sigmas and Little Sigmas?
  • From: brianbec at comcast.net (Brian Beckman)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:37:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

(Windows Notebook Interface) Normally, I set up a cell with Alt-7 for
text input, then I typeset inline with ctrl-9.  I also get a
typesetting palette up with templates to click for integrals, roots,
sums, and so on.  Here is my problem. Suppose i want a BIG SIGMA
summation sign, with i=1 on the bottom and n on the top.  Standard,
eh?  The clicky on the palette looks just like that.  However, when it
goes in the ctrl-9 typesetting box, it has the i=1 to the right of the
lower horn of the Sigma rather than underneath the Sigma, and it has
the n to the right of the upper horn of the Sigma rather than over the
top of the Sigma.  In other words, the palette gives me the vertically
compressed form of the summation notation, when I want the tall form.

I've tried all kinds of tricks with the over-and-under clickies,
attempting to construct the form I want manually and the NB interface
is just too smart -- it keeps squishing things vertically.  Ditto for
lim notation, by the way.  I want "lim" on the top and "h->0" on the
bottom, but the interface insists on squishing this to "lim" with
"h->0" as a subscript to "lim."  I'm frustrated but not blocked.  My
typesetting is coming out ugly but readable.

My fingers learned these shortcuts (Alt-7 and Ctrl-9) long ago and my
mind has forgotten the English names for them, so I haven't been able
to find them in the documentation.

Any clues for me?