Re: Physical Constants package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46978] Re: Physical Constants package
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:25:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You need to apply PowerExpand to the expression.

If you do this sort of thing a lot, you might be interested in our enhanced
version of the standard packages for constants and units.  You can download
it from

http://jowett.home.cern.ch/jowett/Accelerator/ConstantsUnits.html

Then your example would be
PowerExpand[ToFundamentalSI[
0.39789711297139907/(Meter^3*(Kilogram/(Joule*Second^2))^(3/2))
]]

which returns

0.397897

John Jowett

"Curt Fischer" <crf3 at po.cwru.edu> wrote in message
news:c38v35$g4m$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Ed Pegg Jr wrote:
> > A package that deals with physical constants has recently been
> > added to the Mathsource Infocenter library.
> >
> > http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/4993/
> >
> > For A to C, the constants included are as follows:
> >
> > accelerationOfGravity, ageOfUniverse, ageOfUniverseInGYear,
> > astronomicalUnit, atomicMassConstant, avogadroConstant,
> > baryonDensityOfUniverse, bohrMagneton, bohrMagnetonIneV,
> > bohrRadius, boltzmannConstant, classicalElectronRadius,
> > comptonWavelength, comptonWavelengthReduced,
> > conductanceQuantum, constantOfGravitation, conversionConstant,
> > conversionConstantSquare, cosmicBackgroundTemperature.
>
> On a sort-of related note, does anyone know when quantum chemistry units
> (energy in Hartrees, distance is Bohrs, etc) will find there way into the
> Miscellaneous`Units` package?
>
> Also, is there any good way to get Mathematica to simplify expressions
such
> as
> 0.39789711297139907/(Meter^3*(Kilogram/(Joule*Second^2))^(3/2))?  Plain
> inspection shows that the units all cancel out, but the
Miscellaneous`Units`