RE: Re: Drawing a globe, with countries and great circle routes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48133] RE: [mg48123] Re: Drawing a globe, with countries and great circle routes
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:58:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 6:12 AM
>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: [mg48133] [mg48123] Re: Drawing a globe, with countries and great circle
>routes
>

>In article <c7ust3$q8g$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
> Yasvir Tesiram <yat at omrf.ouhsc.edu> wrote:
>
>> The closest such thing maybe the Miscellaneous`WorldPlot` package.
>>
>> << Graphics`Colors`
>>
>> countryColors[country_] := Switch[
>>      country,
>>      "Australia", Green,
>>      "USA", Blue,
>>      "Papua New Guinea", IndianRed,
>>      "Brazil", Gold,
>>      "Peru", LampBlack,
>>      _, GrayLevel[.6]
>>      ]
>>
>> WorldPlot[{World, countryColors},
>>      WorldRotation -> {30, 45, 0}, WorldProjection -> Orthographic]
>
>Thanks much, works like a charm -- except there's a vertical
>black line
>running up the center of the plot, *over* the countries, that I've not
>yet found out how to get rid of.

Dear Professor Siegman,

this works:

In[33]:=
niceCountries =
    Flatten[{Oceania, SouthAmerica, NorthAmerica, Africa, Europe, Asia,
        MiddleEast, "Cabinda", "Falkland Islands"}];

In[34]:=
WorldPlot[{niceCountries, countryColors},
  WorldRotation -> {30, 45, 0}, WorldProjection -> Orthographic]

In[35]:=
Complement[World, niceCountries]
Out[35]= {"Antarctica"}

That's the mucker! -- not quite unplausible for this projection, and considering that none is reponsible for that (unless oil will be found there).

WorldBackground doesn't work well either (it gradually degrades when adding Countries), perhaps on similar grounds.

Years ago I had a look into the package and saw that it deserves some refresh, yet that's not a weekend project.

--
Hartmut Wolf