Re: Problems with Latex (Windows) and Mathematica 5.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48157] Re: Problems with Latex (Windows) and Mathematica 5.0
  • From: Roland Franzius <roland.franzius at uos.de>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:59:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Gideon Livshits wrote:

> Greetings,
> I have a problem with converting complex Mathematica (version
> 5.0)formulae into Latex from Mathematica.
> I am writing an article in General Relativity, and I need to write the
> Riemann tensor with Greek indices. In Latex this is simply
> R^{\mu}_{\nu \rho \sigma}. When I write this Riemann tensor explicitly
> in Mathematica (using the Greek letters pallete), and then convert it
> into DVI (in TexniCenter) I don't see the formulae at all (YAP tells
> me that it failed to create Mathematica fonts, even though I did
> everything possible, including connecting it through Miktex to the
> SystemFiles/IncludeFiles/Tex directory, and adding the proper lines in
> the appropriate files in the configuration (dvips and pdftex)
> directories in Miktex).
> I then try to convert it into PDF, again from inside TexniCenter, only
> to discover that the Greek indices are turned into Roman letters, m
> instead of \mu, etc. Furthermore, the style of the formula does not
> resemble any thing that Latex produces!
> I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have added the
> \usepackage{wri...} in TexniCenter manually to ensure that it uses
> this Style file.
> I would really appreciate any help on this issue!! Maybe I just don't
> know where to place the additional fonts so that YAP be able to read
> them?! I don't know why Adobe behaves this way either.

I have solved part of that problem for my installation, but its a rather
complicated prodedure. Look at my homepage

http://www.physik.uni-osnabrueck.de/franzius/Downloads/MMA/MMaFontsMiktexEnglish.html

I describe a step by step installation of MiKTeX, eliminating the old
Mathematica TeX font installation coming from Mathematica 3.0. You find a
Mathematica notebook to convert the Mathematica fonts to those readable
by MiKTeX's YAP. And finally all fontmap files have to be recreated.

Someone having the time to write a script doing the job? Would be fine.

--
Roland Franzius
Roland Franzius