Re: How to include images and graphics in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51931] Re: How to include images and graphics in Mathematica
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at twilight.zone>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:17:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Christopher Grinde" wrote

>How do one include graphics into mathematica without using Import[...]
>and Show[]?
>I've seen several Wolfram screendumps showing notebooks with images but no
>input-line to insert the image.
>
>The reason why I want this is to write design reports with images and math
>in dosument with nice formatting.

Use Import[] and Show[] and then delete the input lines. : )

A nicer way would be: define the code to generate and import pictures,
enclose it in a separate section of the notebook, add the calls to show
specific pictures wherever needed and make all this code initializable.
Evaluating the initialization cells will 'inflate' the notebook with
graphics
and pictures (they could be stored in gif, jpg or png format in a separate
folder). I have used this approach to keep notebook sizes low and it has the
plus that it is possibile to update the pictures without even having to fire
up Mathematica. File locations can be made relative to the currently open notebook.

I *think* it is also possibile to delete the input cells used to do the job,
leaving a clean notebook with only the pictures in the right places. This is
a one time only process since it destroys the code to actually show the
pictures and for this reason the 'deleteCode' line should be added only to
the finale versione of the notebook.

cheers,
Peltio
and his two cents.