launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52381] launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine
  • From: thewalterq at hotmail.com (walter)
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:49:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings:

I am trying to launch a kernel on a faster linux machine (call it
"fast.here.com", IP address "5.5.5.5") and connect it to my local
front end (on "lamo.here.com", IP address "7.7.7.7"). Both run
Mathematica 5.0.1.0 on Fedora Linux (3 and 2, respectively). The
connection goes through ssh.

On the front end on lamo.here.com I now try to add a kernel with
"Kernel Configuration Options...".

If I select as the remote machine the same as my local machine
"lamo.here.com", everything works fine. I know I could do this without
going through TCP/IP, but just for checking it out:

   Arguments passed to MLOpen:
      -LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP
   String passed to shell to launch kernel:
      ssh lamo.here.com "math -mathlink -LinkMode Connect
-LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName `linkname`"

Choosing this to be the notebook's kernel, once I execute the first
calculation it pops up a box saying "Link created on
35945 at 7.7.7.7,35946 at 7.7.7.7", then asks for the password for
lamo.here.com, and everything works fine; I can run calculations as
usual.

The problem appears when I change the above string to
      ssh fast.here.com "math -mathlink -LinkMode Connect
-LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName `linkname`"
(note that only the computer name has changed). When I do the first
calculation, I still get a box saying "Link created on
35950 at 7.7.7.7,35951 at 7.7.7.7", then one asking for the password for
fast.here.com. But then it stops doing anything. The result is that I
have no kernel running, neither on fast.here.com nor on lamo.here.com,
and no result is being displayed.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've been searching through old
messages on this forum and could not figure it out.

Thanks!
     Walter.