Re: UnitStep

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52383] Re: UnitStep
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:50:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>> I don't know why you think it's wrong.

Because THESE are the right answers:

f[x_] = (1/x)*UnitStep[x - 1];
g[x_] = D[f[x], {x}]
h[x_] = Simplify[Integrate[g[x], x]]

DiracDelta[-1 + x]/x - UnitStep[-1 + x]/x^2
UnitStep[-1 + x]/x

The x==0 case in Piecewise is a red herring, BTW. It's removable, yet Mathematica lets it become a problem.

f[x_] = Piecewise[{{0, x == 0}, {(1/x)*UnitStep[x - 1], True}}];
g[x_] = D[f[x], {x}]
h[x_] = Integrate[g[x], x]

Piecewise[{{0, x < 1}, {-(1/x^2), x > 1}}, Indeterminate]
Piecewise[{{0, x <= 1}}, -1 + 1/x]

Both definitions above for f are identical, point by point and in form at the only discontinuity. I'm not saying Mathematica should have gotten this right, but I _am_ saying it got it wrong. (That's life, when we use a CAS.)

The OP's original problem should not have occurred at all. UnitStep[x-c] f[x] is a well-behaved function if f[x] is well-behaved for x >= c. The behavior of f on x < c is (or should be) irrelevant.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net