Re: convolution vs. NMinimize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52412] Re: convolution vs. NMinimize
  • From: lupos at cheerful.com (robert)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 01:04:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hi julia,

especialy (but not only) with samplelegths which are powers of 2
convolution can be done efficiently by FFT (Mathematica Fourier[])
the "convolution theorem" states that to perform convolution(f,g) you
may take the the fourier transforms F=Fourier[f] and G=Fourier[g] and
get the convolution by calculating InverseFourier[F*G]

for a sample length n

Fourier[] calculates in n*Log[n] time (because of FFT)
ListConvolve[] calculates in n*n time

the differnece is enormous for large n.

As Fourier assumes periodic data, you will have to pad your data and
your convolution kernel with zeros if you need same behavior like
ListConvolve[]

could be possible that ListConvolve[] allready uses FFT methods in
this case the statement that ListConvolve[] calculates in n*n time
would be false and you wold not gain any speedup.

regards robert