Re: Speeding UP Indexing and Joining of Different Size Rectangular Matrixes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52424] Re: [mg52414] Speeding UP Indexing and Joining of Different Size Rectangular Matrixes
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:20:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here's an approach you might try:

Define lookup functions for a and b. When this is done for each dataset, the original dataset is no longer needed. It might actually be more efficient to do this while reading in the data (assuming it came from a file), so that the data is never stored in a matrix at all. (I'm assuming the index is in column 1.)

Clear@aFind
aFind[_] := {}
aNDX = (aFind[First@#] = Rest@#; First@#) & /@ a
Clear@a

Clear@bFind
bFind[_] := {}
bNDX = (bFind[First@#] = Rest@#; First@#) & /@ b
Clear@b

Now we can loop through indices in aNDX or bNDX to reach all the data, or we can loop through

abNDX = Intersection[aNDX, bNDX]

to see only the records in both datasets.

The value of extract will be the concatenation of both dataset rows. It will look like {{data from table a},{data from table b}}, {{},{data from table b}} or {{data from table a}, {}}, depending on whether x is in both datasets, dataset b only, or a only.

extract[x_] := {aFind[x], bFind[x]}

This replaces your For loop, AppendTo, and Extract. It takes zero time to define this.

The nth column of a record in a or b can be accessed using Part in a couple of different ways:

aFind[x_][[n]] == extract[x][[1,n]]
bFind[x_][[n]] == extract[x][[2,n]]

The first will fail (in either form) if x isn't an index in dataset a, and the second will fail (in either form) if it isn't in b.

I have no idea what Flatten is doing for you, what the variables interestBalance and currentBalance are, or what you intend matsort to do.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net