Random replacement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50496] Random replacement
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at akikoz.net>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 05:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have written a small "package" intended to as a workaround for the
problem with the built in Random function fully explained by Daniel
Lichtblau in:

<http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2000/May/msg00088.html>

The "package" simply implements Daniel's workaround described in his
posting. In fact it is not a proper package (it defines no new
contexts) but simply a init.m file which, if loaded on Kernel startup
(this will happen if you put it into folder Kernel in the folder
Autoload in your $UserAddOnsDirectory directory) will replace all calls
to the SW algorithm that has been causing some problems by  calls to
Wolfram's "rule 30" CA automaton random number generator. (Actually it
does not deal with large - more than 31 bit- integer calls). Of course,
one can also copy the contents of the package and paste into an
existing init.m file.
The only advantage of this package, compared with very similar
workarounds that have been mentioned several times on this list (which
were based on defining a Random[] substitute called MyRandom or
something like that)  is that it does not require modifying the code
for individual distributions in various statistics packages: by
replacing Random itself we can deal with all the cases at once.

The reason why I wrote this package was because I was obtaining
inaccurate values for option pricing using Monte-Carlo simulation with
the built in Random and the NormalDistribution package. With the
replacement init.m file loaded these values have become noticeably
better. I assume similar improvements should show up in programs that
use simulation with a large number of samples with other distributions.

The package can be downloaded from any of my two (identical) sites:

http://www.akikoz.net/~andrzej//Mathematica/   (in Japan)

http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/Mathematica/      (in Poland)

The name of the "package" is simply init.m.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan
http://www.akikoz.net/~andrzej/
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/