Re: How do I use TrigSolve.nb ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50538] Re: How do I use TrigSolve.nb ?
  • From: ab_def at prontomail.com (Maxim)
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 05:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

bfeeny at mac.com (Brian Feeny) wrote in message news:<chmnk6$9l8$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> I am pretty new to Mathematica, and I have never used anything outside
> what comes with it.
> I downloaded the TrigSolve.nb file from wolfram.com
>
> http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4486/
>
> How can I use the TrigSolve[] function inside of it?  I know I must
> have to load the .nb file somehow.  I am using the OS X version of
> Mathematica 5.
>
> Appreciate any help

You need to open the .nb file (File -> Open) and evaluate the cell
that contains the definition of the TrigSolve.

Since you have Mathematica 5, just use Reduce instead of TrigSolve:

In[1]:=
Reduce[Sin[x] == 0, x]

Out[1]=
C[1] \[Element] Integers && (x == 2 Pi C[1] || x == Pi + 2 Pi C[1])

Because of some glitches in Reduce, it is a good idea to add the
domain specification (Reduce[Sin[x]==0,x,Reals]), without it Reduce
may give an incorrect result for trigonometric equations.

Maxim Rytin
m.r at inbox.ru