Re: Re: Recommendations for a programming book?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55837] Re: [mg55778] Re: Recommendations for a programming book?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 05:10:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  I think I have read almost all books on programming in Mathematica and
find Michael Trott's book by far the most interesting. Maeder's book is
elegantly written but actually you do not need it to learn how to write
good packages or how to document them: a better method is to select one
or two standard packages provided with Mathematica and study them
carefully. To me this seems a relatively trivial issue, not worth a
whole book. Maeder's two books entitles The Mathematica Programmer I
and II, based on his articles in the Mathematica Journal are in many
ways more interesting.
Wagner's book is a good book on programming but it hardly shows you how
to solve a serious problem. For the latter Mastering Mathematica by
Gray is better but it comes nowhere near Michael's book. The value of
Michael's book is not really that there are "things in there that are
no where else" but rather that shows how to use Mathematica to solve
problems about which it is sometimes hard to believe that they can even
tackled with a computer program. It is completely wrong to say that is
has  "a huge number of unnecessary references". The worked out problems
and exercises touch on countless topics in Mathematics and physics and
the references are needed for the necessary background. I doubt that
there is anyone who knows more than a fraction of the material
involved; references are a must in this sort of work.
As for Wolfram's book; well I think trying to learn Matheamtica form it
is a bit like trying to learn mathematics form an; I do not know anyone
who has got very far with this approach. But, as a basic reference it
has no substitute.

Andrzej Kozlowski