Re: Re: Re: Recommendations for a programming book?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55863] Re: [mg55837] Re: [mg55778] Re: Recommendations for a programming book?
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:36:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej,

Can you show, how to include the material from Michael's DVDs into
the Help of Mathematica, just as Wolfram's book is shown there ?
Then if that also could be achieved that when I look let's say
RealDigits in the Help. then under

See Section 3.1.3

I could have

See Trott's P.2.4.2

or something like that, that would be great.

Thanks ahead,

János

On Apr 7, 2005, at 5:10 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

>   I think I have read almost all books on programming in
> Mathematica and
> find Michael Trott's book by far the most interesting. Maeder's
> book is
> elegantly written but actually you do not need it to learn how to
> write
> good packages or how to document them: a better method is to select
> one
> or two standard packages provided with Mathematica and study them
> carefully. To me this seems a relatively trivial issue, not worth a
> whole book. Maeder's two books entitles The Mathematica Programmer I
> and II, based on his articles in the Mathematica Journal are in many
> ways more interesting.
> Wagner's book is a good book on programming but it hardly shows you
> how
> to solve a serious problem. For the latter Mastering Mathematica by
> Gray is better but it comes nowhere near Michael's book. The value of
> Michael's book is not really that there are "things in there that are
> no where else" but rather that shows how to use Mathematica to solve
> problems about which it is sometimes hard to believe that they can
> even
> tackled with a computer program. It is completely wrong to say that is
> has  "a huge number of unnecessary references". The worked out
> problems
> and exercises touch on countless topics in Mathematics and physics and
> the references are needed for the necessary background. I doubt that
> there is anyone who knows more than a fraction of the material
> involved; references are a must in this sort of work.
> As for Wolfram's book; well I think trying to learn Matheamtica
> form it
> is a bit like trying to learn mathematics form an; I do not know
> anyone
> who has got very far with this approach. But, as a basic reference it
> has no substitute.
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski
>

> On 6 Apr 2005, at 09:11, David Bailey wrote:
>
>> I remember when I first obtained Mathematica, how impressed I was
>> with
>> Stephen's book. I think the examples are particularly well chosen
>> - not
>> too simple as to fail to illustrate what a command does, but not so
>> complicated that you have to work hard to understand them.
>>
>> Because the book with the software is so good, it does seem hard to
>> beat
>> it! I have yet to read Michael Trott's book, and what you say is
>> interesting. I wonder if anyone else can offer an opinion.
>>
>> As regards such things as checking that a function does not
>> inadvertently access global variables, I think this is something
>> for a
>> piece of checking software to enforce - it is not so much a lack of
>> knowledge, but a mistake that you are trying to eliminate.
>>
>> David Bailey
> [...]

"The shortest route between two points is the middleman"  Ayn Rand