"Cascaded sums"?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59190] "Cascaded sums"?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 01:05:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A Mathematic calculation is yielding a result of the form

   (x^4 + a (x^3 + a (x^2 + a ( x + a ))))

for the case n = 4, and analogous results for larger n; and Mathematica
seems to be able to do some interesting simplifications and factoring of
these results.

I'm sure I learned about this form in a math class somewhere along the
line, but this was 50+ years ago.  Could some kind soul remind me of
what this form is called, and maybe some of its interesting properties?

Thanks . . .