Re: Default defaults?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59295] Re: Default defaults?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:21:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

to 3) you have no ArticleClassic.nb not in
$TopDirectory/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/StyleSheets ??
strange

to 4) the uninstallation depend on the operating
system you are using.
For MS Windows you can simply use the System
Settings | Software Uninstall.
"not touch auxilary files" mean, that the files in
your preferences
directory and files that you installed later (like
a application package) are not removed.

Regards
  Jens

"AES" <siegman at stanford.edu> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dcsceq$q2n$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| 1)  I tried editing the Default style sheet,
without making a backup
| copy of same, and may have screwed it up.  Is
there a way to restore the
| default Default.nb notebook?
|
| (E.g., by downloading a copy?  I don't seem to
be able to get at
| individual files on the Mathematica 5.1 install
CD)

| 2)  There seem to be two copies of Default.nb
notebook in my Mathematica
| installation.  Why? -- and which one is the
"real" Default.nb?

| 3)  The Format >> Style Sheet menu command also
displays about 15 other
| styles besides Default, such as "ArticleClassic"
and "DemoText" among
| others -- and they seem to function.
|
| But, there are no "ArticleClassic.nb" or
"DemoText.nb" notebooks to be
| found in my current Mathematica installation . .
. ????

| 4)  There's always a possibility I might want to
do a clean
| reinstallation of Mathematica to solve this (or
other future) problems.
| Looking ahead to this, the "Getting Started"
booklet that came with v.
| 5.1 contains installation instructions, but no
instructions for
| uninstall, or reinstall -- and I know there are
auxiliary files
| scattered in other places on my HD.
|
| It does say that if I install 5.1 over
_previous_ versions, it will
| _not_ remove auxiliary files from the earlier
version.  Does this mean
| if I reinstall it over itself, it will not
remove the auxiliary files
| from itself that the initial install seems to
have distributed in