Re: coefficient of a polynomial term

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59361] Re: [mg59339] coefficient of a polynomial term
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 03:46:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

poly=2 x^2+3 x*y+4 y^2+x^3

x^3 + 2*x^2 + 3*y*x + 4*y^2

Note that the output order is not the same as input order. Further, both differ
from the order in which the terms are stored

List@@poly

{2*x^2, x^3, 3*x*y, 4*y^2}

The usual way to extract coefficients is

CoefficientList[poly,{x,y}]

{{0, 0, 4}, {0, 3, 0}, {2, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 0}}

However, if you want to specify the order of the coefficients

Coefficient[poly,#]&/@{x^2,x*y,y^2,x^3}

{2,3,4,1}

Bob Hanlon