Re: Advanced symbolic Integration using Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59653] Re: Advanced symbolic Integration using Mathematica
  • From: "James Gilmore" <james.gilmore at yale.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:39:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

In addition to the Guassian integral, use:
In[266]:=
Integrate[Exp[-x^n], {x, -Infinity, Infinity}, Assumptions -> n > 0]

They will be much more impressed seeing the integration with a general
argument, and a (sensible) condition on n.

On a sidebar, everyone I have talked with dislikes the elaborate conditions
Integrate generates these days. Warn your group about these to be on the
safe side. I have thought since 5.0 that Integrate has become too general.
Perhaps a function, IntegrateNoNosense, which has only the bare essentials
of Integrate, is required in a future release of Mathematica. Then new and
experienced users do not have to deal with these annoyances constantly.

Cheers

James Gilmore
Graduate Student
Department of Physics