Re: List Replace Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59845] Re: List Replace Problems
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:30:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

dlst need the attribute hold First otherwise
u is evaluated and there is no memory location
where your assimgment is stored.

Regards
  Jens

"wesh" <wesh at acm.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:deeom3$3rl$1 at smc.vnet.net...

| I want to perform some element by element
operations on a class of
| lists. For a given list The operation in a much
simplified form can be
| characterized by
|
| a = {1, 3, 5, 7, 9};
| Do[a[[i]] /= i, {i, 1, 5}];
|
| Out[38]=
| {1, 3/2, 5/3, 7/4, 9/5}
|
| Now, however, if I try to define a function to
do this for a general
| list, namely,
|
| dlst[u_List] =
|   Do[u[[i]] /= i,  {i, 1, 5}];
| a = {1, 3, 5, 7, 9};
| dlst[a];
|
| Set::setps:
| ({1, 2, 3, 4, 5}) in assignment of part is not a
symbol. ! More ...

| Out[39]=
| {1, 3, 5, 7, 9}
|
| I get the above error. It says I'm trying to
assign one number to
| another number. Why does Mathematica perform in
the first case but
| refuse to in the second.
|
| I tried
|
| b = Do[ReplacePart[a,  a[[i]]/i, i], {i, 1, 5}]
|
| but it doesn't even bother to return an error
message.