Re: Sending again: Symbolizing subscripts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62792] Re: Sending again: Symbolizing subscripts
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:40:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

in batch mode you will see nothing, especial you
will never see the
special formatis for subscripts .. it is nonsens
to set up a special
notation for things that you can't see -- work
with x1,x2 or x$1,x$2

Regards
  Jens

"Andrew Moylan" <andrew.moylan at anu.edu.au> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:dn0uda$8ak$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Sorry if I am sending this twice, but the first
one doesn't seem to have
| worked:
|

| It looks like there aren't any ideas for solving
my original problem
| (included below), so I'll widen my search a bit.
|
| I want any expression of the form Subscript[a,
b] to be interpreted as a
| symbol. I can achieve this easily using the
Notation package, by the
| following:

Utilities`Notation`Symbolize[NotationBoxTag[SubscriptBox["_",
"_"]]]

| I also want to run my code in batch mode
(without a front end). However,
| [it appears that] the Notation package cannot be
used in batch mode.
| Given that I can't easily make the Notation
package work in batch mode,
| I now ask: does anyone know another way (not
using the Notation package)
| to make all subscripts behave as symbols?
|
| Thanks again for any ideas.
|     -Andrew
|
| Andrew Moylan wrote:
| > I have some code that includes (and relies
upon) a call to
| > Utilities`Notation`Symbolize[...]. I would
like to run the code in batch
| > mode (without a front end), but the Notation
package generates many error
| > messages when being loaded without a front
end, and subsequent calls to
| > Symbolize[...] result in the Mathematica
kernel hanging.

| > Does anyone know of any way to use the
notation package in batch mode, or
| > does anyone have any ideas for other ways to
run my code automatically from