Re: Re: Re: Bug in 5.1??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54573] Re: [mg54528] Re: [mg54469] Re: Bug in 5.1??
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:11:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 22 Feb 2005, at 16:18, DrBob wrote:

> I don't file bug reports because (a) I don't usually have real
> applications that warrant it (certainly not in this case) and (b)
> reporting bugs is a pretty fruitless endeavor -- even if WRI _is_ a
> hundred times more responsive than Microsoft (for instance) in that
> regard. Nothing gets fixed until the next release, and many bugs have
> already survived five years or more. I am likely to get a work-around
> from tech support, but I can come up with work-arounds on my own.
>
> Anyway, WRI can't claim to be unaware of this problem, or anything
> else we discuss in this forum -- regardless of whether anybody files a
> bug report.
>
> I do understand that developmental priorities and theoretical issues
> make it impractical to fix some of these things. Generally, I'm not
> really asking anyone to fix them; I just want to understand, to
> whatever extent I can. Possibly you think I'm far more concerned than
> I actually am.
>
> As for 2-digit significance arithmetic in particular, if I want an
> explanation and you don't have one, and you clearly don't care about
> the issue, why answer?

Because when you tell anther user that he has "discovered" a bug, you
are implying that he should take the trouble to report it, which is
something you do not wish to do yourself because you know well that it
will be a waste of effort. I, on the other hand, am telling him that
what he has observed has been well known for 10 years +  and nothing
has been done about it, for a variety of possible reasons, the most
likley   being that this "problem" is considered harmless; other
possible reasons being that nobody knows how to fix it or whether
fixing it would damage other things or even perhaps because
significance  arithetic can't work without something like that.

Andrzej Kozlowski