Re: Re: Re: Bug in 5.1??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54578] Re: [mg54528] Re: [mg54469] Re: Bug in 5.1??
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:11:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>> I, on the other hand, am telling him that
>> what he has observed has been well known for 10 years +

It hasn't been well known to ME, to the original poster, or to Dana DeLouis. Or, I think, to a lot of other people.

I did know about some other issues, including spurious loss of precision in certain Newton iterations, but I didn't know that N[number,2] doesn't have two digits of precision.

Anyway, I think we're entitled to discuss well known issues, if we want. If nobody's interested, a thread dies quickly.

If the word "bug" offends you, sorry 'bout that. Many of us use the word somewhat loosely, I suppose, but I'm not aware of any reliable way to determine what does or doesn't deserve the name.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net