Re: Re: limit problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58950] Re: [mg58944] Re: limit problem
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I do not think there is any need for this. If Limit returned a
conditional answer in the manner of Integrate with symbolic
integration limits, then this problem would not arise. As it is,
since Simplify and FullSimplify  evaluate their arguments what you
would get with your suggested approach is a double attempted
evaluation of Limit, first without the assumptions of Simplify and
then again with the assumptions: hardly the most efficient way to go
about this.

Since Integrate already returns conditional solutions applying
Simplify will normally work the way you expect:

Simplify[Integrate[1/x, {x, a, b}], 0 < a < b]

Log[b/a]

There was no "passing of assumptions" involved and none is needed.

Andrzej Kozlowski