Mouse controlled 3D rotations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57848] Mouse controlled 3D rotations
  • From: Jim Hafner <hafner at almaden.ibm.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 02:29:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Is there a way to build a 3D graphics object (e.g., a simple
Tetrahedron) and manipulate it (e.g., rotate it in 3D) with the mouse?

There is an example on webMathematica of just this, but I haven't
figured out how to do it at all in plain ol' Mathematica.

Does it matter what system I'm on (AIX 5.1 or WinXP)?

I noticed that on AIX5.1, starting math kernel (no notebooks) that I can
use Animate[] to make a movie of a rotating Tetrahedron.  In XP, the
same doesn't produce anything.  On either system, in a notebook, I just
get multiple graphics objects, one for each rotational position --
there's no live animation.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Jim Hafner
hafner at almaden.ibm.com