Re: spotlight escape sequences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57981] Re: spotlight escape sequences
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:58:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 6/14/05 at 5:10 AM, trevorbaca at gmail.com (Trevor Baca) wrote:

>os x only:

>how do you type:

>Needs["Combinatorica`"]

>into apple's os x spotlight and get back what you expect?

I think the answer is you can't do this as things are currently set up. However, since I also use Mac OS 10.4, I would be glad to learn I am wrong.

The problem is Spotlight doesn't index file content. The few exceptions to this (e.g. PDF files) seem to be only those file types Apple uses extensively. I suppose Wolfram could put this functionality into the notebook mdimporter they created. But at the moment, this importer does not appear to do much at all with notebook content.