Re: chi square value after FindFit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55110] Re: chi square value after FindFit
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:37:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 3/11/05 at 4:20 AM, laurent.feuz at mat.ethz.ch (Laurent Feuz)
wrote:

>Hi After fitting datapoints with a formula and getting the values
>of the fitting parameters, I would like to display the goodness of
>the fit, i.e. the chisquare value.

>Any hint if this is possible?

Certainly, it is possible. But with FindFit you will have to create the functions to do the computation since outputing additional statistics is not supported in FindFit.

OTOH, the standard statistics packages supplied with Mathematica are already designed to do exactly this.

If you are doing a linear regression problem, then load the package Statistics`LinearRegression` and use the function Regress. The default output provides measures of the goodness of fit.

For a non-linear problem, load the package Statistics`NonLinearFit` and use the function NonlinearRegress to get similar measures of the goodness of fit.