Re: Question to the world: Do you want an computer algebra program with a true GUI?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55104] Re: Question to the world: Do you want an computer algebra program with a true GUI?
  • From: jamesahart79 at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:36:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At the moment, I'm afraid that if you make changes to the early steps,
it completely wipes out the later ones, primarily because I couldn't
find a useful way to do what you describe...

I'm thinking that something like a scripting language might be able to
overcome that little problem.  It would be sort of a programming
language, like Mathematica's.  You could use it to create functions
which could be used in the equations, or you could use it to create
operators that could be applied to expressions.  Thus if you have
something you want to do repeatedly, define the operator, and every
time you need to redo it, just right click on the expression, and
choose your user-defined operator.  It's certainly no worse than
anything that's out there now.

If I could find a better way of doing this, I could.  If you have any
suggestions, I am all ears!