Re: Use of Mathematica with Rule-based Equation Derivations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61927] Re: Use of Mathematica with Rule-based Equation Derivations
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 01:52:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

set up a global list of your constants and check the symbol if it is a
member of that list.

Regards
  Jens

<mmorriss at gcn.ou.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dkfd8o$etv$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hi All - I'm a many-year user of mathematica,
but have always had one
| particular problem with it that I may have just
simply missed reading
| about.
|
| Mathematica Version: 5.2
|
| Problem: I would like to develop a set of
re-rewite rules to apply to the
| Expected Value operator.  For example:
|
| E[a x] = a E[x]  a -> constant, x -> variable
| E[b + f[x]] = b + E[f[x]] , etc.
|
| The issue is how does one using Mathematica
distinguish a 'constant
| variable (i.e. a and b)' from a variable
'variable' (i.e. 'x')? The head
| of a, b and x is 'Symbol' and neither a, b nor x
contain a number so I
| can't use a_?NumberQ to identify it as a
constant.

| This actually goes to the wider question of how
does one use Mathematica
| for symbolic derviations where numbers are not
actually substituted in the