publicon to latex translation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62162] publicon to latex translation
  • From: Kenneth Gilbert <kgilbert at olemiss.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:08:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have used Publicon for the past year and have produced camera-ready
symposium papers with it.  It has been a pleasure to use for that
purpose.  For publications requiring  translation to Latex (journals,
books, etc.), it is quite another story.  My attempts at using the
APS format (RevTex4)  and translating to Latex have been totally
unacceptable to me.  It appears Publicon cannot even translate
boldface math in a reasonable way.  For example, if I want to use a
boldface version of r to represent a position vector  in an equation,
Publicon uses \text{\boldmath $r$}.  I am willing to do minor fixes  on the
Publicon translation to Latex but not the wholesale redo that seems
to be necessary right now.  I have sent my complaint to Wolfram, but
have not yet gotten a reply.   My impression is that the present
version of  Publicon (1.0.1.0) is not useful as a front end for
manuscripts that have to end up as Latex.   I would be interested in
hearing the experiences of other Publicon users  with regard to
translation to Latex.