Re: Re: Types in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62201] Re: [mg62175] Re: [mg62152] Types in Mathematica
  • From: gardyloo <gardyloo at mail.wsu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:38:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

>I may be mistaken, but I believe 5.2 comes with an independent indexing
>facility which acts something like htdig.  I have the usual helpbrowser index
>functionality, but I don't believe that provides a full text search.
>
>Steven

      It certainly doesn't provide a full-text search. One might very
well go for YEARS (as I've done) without knowing of many of
Mathematica's built-in functionalities, such as many of the Optimization
packages. They're built-in, they have extensive example notebooks
available if you know where to look (try, for just one example, loading
"Optimization`UnconstrainedProblems`"), and yet one can't really find
references to them anywhere in the HelpBrowser Index. I'm VERY glad that
they're around, as they've saved me many hours (probably days or more)
of work, and helped me to think about some optimization problems in
different ways. I just wish that they were more obvious.
    Is it that Wolfram doesn't think they're ready to "reveal"? If
that's the case, why ship them in current versions? (Again, I'm glad
they're there; don't get me wrong!).

                    Curtis O.