(lack of) arguments to lists and joins thereof

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62492] (lack of) arguments to lists and joins thereof
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:46:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Heads up :]

In[4]:=
Join[{1,2},List]
Join[{1,2},List[]]
Join[{1,2},List[Null]]
Out[4]=
Join[{1,2},List]
Out[5]=
{1,2}
Out[6]=
{1,2,Null}

In the code I am writing, I need to use List[] to obtain the result I
want.

I thought this was interesting given the warnings generated if one
tries to save a cell containing, say, "function[a,b,c,]" (it would tell
one to use "function[a,b,c,Null]") to a package (.m). Until now, I was
unaware of a difference between "function[Null]" and "function[]",
probably from lack of experience.

Regards,
--
http://chrischiasson.com/contact/chris_chiasson