Re: Built-In fuctions redefined---How?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62630] Re: Built-In fuctions redefined---How?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:59:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
for printing you may simply replace
{Cos[x]->cx,Sin[x]->sx}
and continue to work with the original expression

Regards
  Jens

"Virgil Stokes" <virgil.stokes at it.uu.se> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:dmh92m$8rj$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| How can I introduce the following definitions:
|
|    cx for Cos[x]
|  sx for Sin[x]
|
| where, the argument x, will always be a single
symbol, and then still be
| able to use the trigonometric identities
associated with Sin, Cos; e.g.,

|  cx^2 + sx^2 = 1
|
| Note, this is not  c x (3 symbol expression);
but,  cx (2 symbol
| expression).
| Why? Because I have some rather large matrices
with many elements that
| contain expressions in Cos and Sin terms that
make printing and
| displaying messy and using the MatrixForm can
give truncation in the