LogGamma[z] vs Log[Gamma[z]] behavior

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60915] LogGamma[z] vs Log[Gamma[z]] behavior
  • From: "Alan" <info at optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 04:06:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Plotting these two for z = 1 + I y vs y is very instructive.

I've had to write some pretty complicated code to make
some other functions of mine continuous like LogGamma[] is.

Can anyone think of some 'automatic' way to remove unwanted
branch cut discontinuities in an arbitrary function of a complex argument?

(More specifically, suppose I have a real integrand  Re [f [c + I y] ],
where c is fixed and
y is the integration variable, and f is complicated and has unwanted
discontinuities due to cuts.
Since the integrator is adaptive ... ?)

Thanks,
alan