Using MathLink to create a GUI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61169] Using MathLink to create a GUI
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:19:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I started looking at MathLink as a possible path to getting away from this
obsolete Motif interface used on Linux.  I have a few questions about how I
might accomplish this.

What's the best way to get a naked frontend widget? You know, the white
rectangle where you type in Mathematica code.

Will this widget have some degree of Motif contamination?

Can I start a kernel from a program writting with MathLink?

Do I need a kernel to have a frontend widget. If I run Mathematica from the
commandline, it typically launches a frontend instance with not kernel
running.  Is that an illusion?  IOW, is there really a kernel running
inside the frontend?  I see there is FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken[...]]
which could be potentially usefull for driving the FrontEnd through a GUI
linked into Mathematica through MathLink. The problem is that I need an egg
before I can have a chicken.  If I want to do anything at all, I have to
have a kernel.  How do I then do things such as stop and start the kernel
from within the GUI?  If I can quit the kernel and keep a frontend widget
that it opened, then what do I do when I open a new notebook, start a
kernel?

--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...