Re: Using MathLink to create a GUI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61174] Re: Using MathLink to create a GUI
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:42:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

|I started looking at MathLink as a possible path
to getting away from this
| obsolete Motif interface used on Linux.  I have
a few questions about how I
| might accomplish this.
|
| What's the best way to get a naked frontend
widget? You know, the white
| rectangle where you type in Mathematica code.

.. depend on the GUI libraries that you use.

| Will this widget have some degree of Motif
contamination?

.. depend on the GUI libraries that you use.
But probably not.

| Can I start a kernel from a program writting
with MathLink?

Yes.

| Do I need a kernel to have a frontend widget.

It depend on your frontend. If you decide to
do some computations that only the kernel can do
before you frontend has finished its
initialization
you need a kernel, otherwise not.

| If I run Mathematica from the
| commandline, it typically launches a frontend
instance with not kernel
| running.  Is that an illusion?

No, the kernel is launched with the first Input
that you try to evaluate.
That's why it take longer to evaluate the first
Input cell in a notebook.

|IOW, is there really a kernel running
| inside the frontend?  I see there is
FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken[...]]
| which could be potentially usefull for driving
the FrontEnd through a GUI
| linked into Mathematica through MathLink. The
problem is that I need an egg
| before I can have a chicken.  If I want to do
anything at all, I have to
| have a kernel.  How do I then do things such as
stop and start the kernel
| from within the GUI?

close the link to the kernel and reopen it.

| If I can quit the kernel and keep a frontend
widget
| that it opened, then what do I do when I open a
new notebook, start a
| kernel?

*You* write the new frontend and you decide what
your frontend will do
in this case. You can also decide to reformat the
root directory, or
delete all source code of the new frontend or
start 10000 copy of xeyes.

Regards
  Jens