NMinimize ignores constraints and crashes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61269] NMinimize ignores constraints and crashes
  • From: "janusonis" <skirmantas.janusonis at nospam.yale.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:54:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I saw somebody's similar message posted last year, but it went unanswered,
so I still need a solution.
Why NMinimize ignores my constraints, gets into a region where my function
yields complex values, and then stops? I explicitly tell the procedure not
to go outside the constraints, but it still does it. A simple example:

NMinimize[{Sqrt[x - y], x &#8805; y &&x y &#8805; 9}, {{x, 4., 5.}, {y,
3., 4.}}]

NMinimize::nrnum: The function value 0.0819328+0.535013I is not a real
number at {x, y} = {3.27193, 3.55817}.

There are obviously infinitely many minima, at which the value of the
function is 0. What is important here, though, is that NMinimize again
ignores x>=y, gets complex values and chokes.