Exporting XML as DocBook, etc

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61458] Exporting XML as DocBook, etc
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:17:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Is there a way to export XML from Mathematica specifying that the primary
document type is DocBook (or some other DTD)?  I see that I can import XML,
and validate against a DTD.  I do not see a way to export any other
document type than MathML, and Mathematica specific NotebookML, etc.

This really is frustrating.  I should be able to specify a DTD, or at least
extend the NotebookML so that I can have well structured mathematical
statements as are found in properly written textbooks.  There should be a
element, a <section> (that nests arbitrarily deeply), etc., etc.  There
should be a means of tagging inline definitions with more than a font type.
There should be an easy way for creating numbered lists of steps in a
derivation.  And all of this should be apparent to the user in an
unobtrusive and intuitive way.

The capability is in the core design of Mathematica.  That fact that it's
not there amazes me.
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...