Re: Re: DSolve and matrix form of system of equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61512] Re: [mg61469] Re: DSolve and matrix form of system of equations
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:01:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Matt, to be honest, I don't really understand the details of how
MapThread (or the others) works. I just know that when I see
expressions of a particular structure and I need to transform them,
they might be amendable to certain commands...
I then try a few of them until I get what I want. That is probably not
the best way to go about it, but, eh... o well.

Some good ones to try out:
MapThread, Inner, Outer, Apply, Sequence, Flatten

don't forget about the numeric values (both with and without List
wrapped around them) you can paste in the last slot to access
different levels of the expressions you're working on

Apply reminds me of a combination of Map and Sequence
Flatten also reminds me of a combination of map and sequence, but the
idea is to sequence only functions of a certain type (usually List).
Outer and Inner ... uh, just are
MapThread ... is like a threaded Map command?

One of my favorites is MapIndexed, for when I am writing really awful code :]

--
Chris Chiasson
http://chrischiasson.com/contact/chris_chiasson